My Son & His Chicken Pox

My poor son…

Three days ago my son EJ got stricken by chicken pox. He got it from his little brother but his was worst because he’s got blisters all over his body… but the worst part is, the sores also emerged in his throat… and there were lots of them. It was so painful for him to swallow, let alone to eat. I can feel his pain… I know it’s a terrible pain.

What I want to share in this blog is the emotional bonding we’ve had when I was trying to force him to eat just so I can give his medicine.

“Anak, you have to be strong…” I’m trying to calm him while he was crying. “You have to take this sickness like a real, big man. Everyone of us had that when we were children, and we took that very bravely. So be brave, okay?”

“But mom, it’s so painful, I don’t want to eat… it’s so painful… waaahhhh”

“Okay, then I will have to bring you to the hospital again and they will insert a tube in your nose.” I was actually referring to a feeding tube. I remember, I used to feed my grandmother with that when she was sick.

“What’s that for?”

“The doctors will blend your food into liquid and they will put some long straw into your nose and your food will go through that.”

“Eiii, mommy that’s so disgusting…”

“So you really have to eat now”

“But I still can’t… Please help me mommy, it’s really painfullll” Oh he really looks bad and really in pain. Every time he swallows is a struggle. What a painful sight for a mom like me. If only I could do something for him. So I urged him to pray to God.

“Lord, please, I don’t want EJ to suffer like this. I don’t want to see him with this pain. So please Lord, just give me the pain, let me suffer for him” I was crying while saying that, seriously.

He answered back the prayer by saying “No Lord… please don’t do that. Please don’t let my Mom suffer this terrible pain. I will face this like a brave man… I can do this.”

Then again, I was showing him that I was serious so I said “ Anak, I’d rather suffer the pain than see you like this. I don’t want you to feel this pain”

“No Mommy, don’t worry I can do this. I am a big man now. I also don’t want you to suffer.”

And so after that, was a long and agonizing feeding of 3 spoon-full of chicken noodle soup.

That same night, there came an emergency where I have to rush a friend in the hospital. I slept in the car till 4’o clock in the morning and the morning after, I think the prayer just came true. My son wasn’t complaining about his throat anymore and I’ve started to feel some sting in mine.

And so it was tonsillitis for me coupled with super body pains. I was officially sick. I even missed the Bubble Gang Gig because of this. I couldn’t eat, and the next thing I knew, I was repeating my son’s moans & groans.

“Mommy, you look weak, why don’t you rest” EJ was telling me after having a half day sleep.

“I’ve rested enough already, I want to eat, but I can’t swallow, I think that sore-throat of yours was transferred to me.

“Hmmm., then why don’t you use that tube in the nose thingy…” he said I started to laugh in the midst of the body pains. “Mommy, you have to be like me. You have to face this like a real woman. Be strong. You can do this. I know you can!”

And so the cycle began. Ahhh, children these days, what have they been eating?

Comments